Crock pots are the new American idols. Healthy slow cooker recipes are stealing the limelight from the regularly prepared meals. Sorry, microwaves and non-stick pans.
Top Benefits Of Slow Cooking
Cooking meals in a slow cooker comes with immense benefits. The four topmost benefits that immediately come to the mind are:
- You save time because what you need is only to put the ingredients in the cooker and let it cook.
- It’s convenient when you’re out of the house the whole day. You come home to a prepared dinner.
- The food retains all its nutrients because there is no deep frying or over-cooking.
- As the food is cooked slowly, the flavor gets distributed evenly and makes the food tastier.
Nutritional Benefits Of Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
- When you cook in water or broth, your meal does not contain additional calories – ideal for those on a weight loss program.
- Hard vegetables get converted into tender and juicy meals.
- You can easily prepare an all-in-one meal by blending lean proteins and vegetables. Such a meal is highly nutritious and delicious.
- The cooking liquid such as the broth or water is not discarded in healthy slow cooker recipes. You make it a part of the dish and they contain the nutrients released from the vegetables.
Introducing Slow Cookers And Crock Pots
This kitchen appliance is a ceramic pot enclosed in a metal container. The food ingredients of healthy slow cooker recipes are put inside the ceramic pot. You place the lid on, plug the cooker in, switch on the power, and let the ingredients release their aroma, flavor, and nutrients generously in every inch of the pot. The natural condensation that occurs due to slow cooking traps in the heat as well as the flavor. As you lift the lid of the pot when the meal is ready, your senses are tantalized by the heavenly aroma of freshly cooked food – enough to give you a horse’s appetite.
How To Buy The Right Slow Cooker Or Crock Pot
The size of the crock pot depends on the size of your family. For a big family, a 4-6 quart pot is ideal. For just a couple of people, a one quart pot is best to prepare easy slow cooker recipes. Choose a cooker with multiple settings and other features like a timer, automatic shut-off, or a warmer. Such features prove to be quite helpful for people who remain outdoors for 8 to 10 hours. There are cookers that feature digital temperature reading or temperature gauge. It ensures that the pot maintains a safe temperature for cooking food. This cuts off the risk of illnesses related to over-cooking or under-cooking food.
Generally, crock pots are available in oval and round shapes. For easy cleaning, get a pot with detachable inner ceramic container, which is safe to wash in a dishwasher.