Nutrition is an integral part of our health and wellbeing. It has become complex because our food supply has changed, how much we eat, additives, preservatives, processing and genetic modification make food ingestion a chemical science with our bodies being the laboratory.
Many conditions such as arthritis, irritable bowel, chronic fatigue, back pain, headache, fibromyalgia, cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetic neuropathy can be made worse by poor nutrition or eating foods that contribute to inflammation. These foods also cause weight gain. Weight loss is made more difficult as a result of eating these foods that do not contribute much to our overall nutrition. Nutrition affects every body process and what we eat can hurt or heal.
- Artificial ingredients such as aspartame, sucralose, margarine and hydrogenated oil do not provide adequate fuel or nutrients that the body can utilize.
- Aspartame convers to methanol, which can be toxic to your nerve cells. It may lower your seizure threshold and causes pain in many people by binding to NMDA receptor.
- Sucralose alters the good bacteria in your gut that make essential vitamins and serotonin a neurotransmitter that alleviates depression.
- Margarine will not even grow mold and if it will not grow or repair your body parts.
- Hydrogenated oils change the balance of hormones called prostaglandins, which have an effect on inflammation that causes pain. They make "plastic" cell membranes that do not absorb nutrients or eliminate waste. Cells lose their flexibility and nerve transmission is not normal. It takes 4 months to eliminate these.
- White foods such as sugar, wheat flour, and potato cause inflammation, weight gain and pain.
- Sugar causes inflammation; pain and weight gain and can disrupt sleep from the swings in the hormone cortisol.
- Wheat has changed due to genetic engineering and has more gluten than it did 10 years ago. It increases fat around your internal organ and makes you gain weight. It sends signals to increase inflammation. Inflammation causes pain.
- Potato starch in potato is made up of long strings of glucose or sugar and is very quickly digested. The glycemic index (ability to raise blood sugar) of potato is higher than sugar.
- Juice that has sugar added or is made with fruit that has a high glycemic index such as tropical fruits has more sugar that is absorbed more quickly than eating the fruit itself. Equate sugar with pain, inflammation, weight gain, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other ailments.
Eliminating these foods can help to decrease your pain, lose weight and better manage the conditions that are caused or made worse by inflammation. These foods affect hormones such as insulin and cortisol that store fat, break down muscle and causes mood swings and other ailments. Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." If your goal is weight loss, reduction of pain and inflammation, better health and preventing or reversing chronic illness, drop these foods from your diet and heal thyself. It will take a few weeks before you notice a difference so be patient.
Source by Lorraine Maita